Grace Jones (born 19 May 1948) is a Jamaican singer, songwriter, lyricist, supermodel, record producer, and actress.
Fame is the second studio album by Grace Jones, released in 1978 by Island Records. After a relative success with her debut release, Grace Jones and Tom Moulton delivered a rapid follow-up album to Portfolio. Fame, recorded in Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia, consisted of a set of mainstream-oriented disco tracks and repeated the scheme of the previous album. Like on Portfolio, side A was a continuous medley, and side B again opened with a re-interpretation of a French classic, this time it was Jacques Prévert‘s “Les Feuilles mortes”, sung in English as “Autumn Leaves“. The album was “dedicated with love to a true Artist, Jean-Paul Goude“, as Jones put it in the liner notes.
The Canadian edition of the original vinyl album included another French language track, “Comme un oiseau qui s’envole”, which replaced “All on a Summers Night” and, in most other territories, was issued as the B-side of the single “Do or Die“. On Japanese version of the album “Comme un oiseau qui s’envole” replaced “Below the Belt”, which in turn in Italy was omitted in favour of an Italian song “Anema e core”. A number of songs from the album, including “Anema e core”, have been performed in Italian TV show Stryx, which ran in late 1978.
The album was a hit on the North American club scene, and the “Do or Die”/”Pride”/”Fame” side reached top 10 on both the U.S. Hot Dance Club Play and Canadian Dance/Urban charts. Fame also charted respectably in Italy and Sweden which were Jones’ most successful markets during the disco era.
“Do or Die” was the album’s lead single and became a big club hit on the U.S. and Canadian dance charts. “Autumn Leaves” was released on a single with the song “Anema e core” from Italian pressing of Fame. Although being the B-side track, “Anema e core” is strangely identified as the single’s title on the cover.
“Fame” and “Am I Ever Gonna Fall in Love in New York City” also got single releases, but failed to chart.
- “Do or Die” (Jack Robinson, James Bolden) – 6:47
- “Pride” (Jack Robinson, James Bolden) – 6:23
- “Fame” (Jack Robinson, Gil Slavin) – 5:37
- “Autumn Leaves” (Jacques Prévert, Johnny Mercer, Joseph Kosma) – 7:02
- “All on a Summers Night” (Jack Robinson, James Bolden) – 4:17
- “Am I Ever Gonna Fall in Love in New York City” (Jack Robinson, Vivienne Savoie Robinson, James Bolden) – 5:28
- “Below the Belt” (Grace Jones, Pierre Papadiamandis) – 4:43
Note: Tracks from side A are a non-stop medley, with the total playing time 18:47.
- Keith Benson – drums
- Richard Bernstein – artwork design
- John Davis – arrangements, keyboards
- Grace Jones – lead vocals
- Francis Jug – photography
- Sonia Moskewitz – photography
- Moto – tambourines
- Piggy Pigerino – violin
- Don Renaldo – strings, horns
- José Rodriguez – mastering
- Darrell Rogers – recording and mixing assistance
- Arthur Stoppe – recording and mixing engineering
- Sweethearts of Sigma (Carla Benson, Yvette Benton, Barbara Ingram) – background vocals
- Neil Terk – art direction
- Larry Washington – congas, percussion
- Jimmy Williams – bass guitar
- Producer – Tom Moulton
Released: June 7, 1978
Genre: Funk / Soul
Produced for Beam Junction Productions. “A Tom Moulton Mix”
Dedicated with love to a true artist, Jean Paul Goude.
Label – Island Records