Wilton Lewis Felder (August 31, 1940 – September 27, 2015) was an American saxophone and bass player, and is best known as a founding member of The Jazz Crusaders, later known as The Crusaders.
Felder was born in Houston, Texas, in 1940. He studied music at Texas Southern Universit Felder, Wayne Henderson, Joe Sample, and Stix Hooper founded the group while in high school in Houston. The Jazz Crusaders evolved from a straight-ahead jazz combo into a pioneering jazz-rock fusion group, with a definite soul music influence. Felder worked with the original group for over thirty years, and continued to work in its later versions, which often featured other founding members.
“Inherit The Wind” is almost a Crusaders album, as Wilton Felder is one of them, and co-produced this album with fellows Stix Hopper and Joe Sample.
Bobby Womack sings the title song, a Rare Groove classic and one of my favorite songs, and a cover of Donny Hathaway’s “Someday We’ll All Be Free”. Musicians include Roland Bautista, Abraham Laboriel, Leon “Ndugu” Chancler and Paulinho da Costa. Merry Clayton and Jim Gilstrap shine among the choir.
Except “Insight”, a dancing funk track, this is a groovy and relaxed jazz-funk album.
1. Inherit The Wind (Vocals – Bobby Womack) (7:23)
Written-By – Derrell Ray Nix, Wilton Felder, Wilton Felder Jr.
2. Someday We’ll All Be Free (Vocals – Bobby Womack) (5:44)
Arranged By, Conductor – Merry Clayton
Written-By – Donny Hathaway, Edward Howard
3. Until The Morning Comes (5:02)
Written-By – Wilton Felder
4. Insight (Vocals – Wilton Felder Jr.) (7:24)
Written-By – Derrell Ray Nix, Terrance LaMar Thomas, Wilton Felder Jr.
5. L.A. Light (5:53)
Written-By – Joe Sample
6. I’ve Got A Secret I’m Gonna Tell (6:54)
Written-By – Joe Sample
- Copyright (c) – Four Knights Music Co.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Mastered At – A&M Studios
- Recorded At – Wizard Recording Studios
- Recorded At – Britannia Studios
- Published By – Four Knights Music Co.
- Published By – Kuumba-W.B. Music
- Manufactured By – Astor
- Distributed By – Astor
- Art Direction – George Osaki, Vartan
- Bass – Abraham Laboriel
- Choir – Alex Brown, Auggie Johnson, Gerry Garrett, Gwen Evans, Jim Gilstrap, Merry Clayton, Pat Powdrill, Zedric Turnbough
- Drums – Ndugu Chancler*, Ricky Lawson
- Engineer, Mixed By – Greg Venable, Hill Brin Swimmer, Jeremy Smith, Russell Bracher
- Executive-Producer – Tom Hooper
- Guitar – Arthur Adams, Dean Parks, Roland Bautista
- Illustration – William Rieser
- Mastered By – Bernie Grundman
- Percussion – Paulinho Da Costa
- Photography By – Charles Bush
- Producer – ‘Stix’ Hooper
- Producer, Horns, Bass – Wilton Felder
- Producer, Synthesizer, Arranged By, Keyboards – Joe Sample
- Production Manager – Pamela Hope Lobue
- Programmed By, Synthesizer – Rory Kaplan
- Remix – Bob Hughes
Genre: Jazz, Funk / Soul
Style: Soul-Jazz, Jazz-Funk
Label – MCA Records