Pretty Poison is an American dance group based out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Group members are Jade Starling (lead vocalist); Whey Cooler (keyboardist and guitarist); and Kaya Pryor (percussionist). Pretty Poison is best known for their hit, “Catch Me (I’m Falling)“, a top 10 U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1987.
Catch Me I’m Falling is the 1988 official debut album (second album overall after the Laced EP) by the American dance-pop group Pretty Poison, who consisted of Jade Starling and Whey Cooler. It contains the title track “Catch Me (I’m Falling)“, which was a top ten hit in the U.S. and also hit number one on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart the previous year. The second single off the album was a remix of their 1984 dance hit “Nighttime” which references Whodini‘s 1984 song “Freaks Come Out at Night” and was a top 40 hit in May 1988. The third single, “When I Look into Your Eyes”, peaked on the dance chart in September of the same year.
The production and mixing on the title track is incredible, and it’s a true dance classic. Some of the other tracks suffer from blandness, but there are a few shining moments, such as “Let Freedom Ring” and the shoulda-been-a-hit-single track “Shine”.
- “Hold Me” – 5:37
- “Nighttime” – 4:17
- “Closer” – 6:05
- “When I Look into Your Eyes” – 4:12
- “Let Freedom Ring” (Starling, Cooler, Bobby Corea) – 4:32
- “Catch Me (I’m Falling)” – 4:54
- “The Look” – 5:13
- “Don’t Cry” – 5:05
- “Shine” – 4:42
- “Heaven” (J. Wilson, J. Cohen, I. Gold, Starling, Cooler) – 5:04
All tracks written by Jade Starling and Whey Cooler except where noted.
- Jade Starling: Vocals
- Whey Cooler: Guitars, Keyboards, Electronic Percussion
- David “Kaya” Prior: Percussion (on “Nighttime” and “Catch Me, I’m Falling
- Louie Franco, Ron Jennings, Greg Porter, Chris Arms, Greg Poree: Guitars
- André Cymone: Guitars, Keyboards
- Kae Williams Jr., Kurt Shore, Fred Zarr, Andy Marvel, Eumir Deodato: Keyboards
- Tony Romeo, Boyd Jarvis: Bass
- Bobby Corea: Drums
- Brian Kilgore, Bashiri Johnson, Dave Darlington, Paul Simpson: Percussion
- Jimmy Zee: Saxophone
- Tenita Jordan, Carrie Johnson, Cheryl Gatson, Diane Richards, Zoe Walken, Butch Robinson, Cuca Eschevaria: Vocal Backing
- Producer(s) – André Cymone, Fred Zarr, Kae Williams, Jr., Kurt Shore, Deodato
Label – Virgin Records