Eugene Wilde (born Ronald Eugene Broomfield, December 6, 1961) is an American R&B singer and songwriter. Eugene seemed ready to become a megastar in the mid-’80s. The Miami-based vocalist, who had formerly been with Life, had a resonant, authoritative voice and very confident manner. He scored number one R&B hits in 1984 and 1985 recording for Philly W. Records. “Gotta Get You Home Tonight”.
Broomfield was born in West Palm Beach, Florida and raised in Miami. He grew up as part of a family group, La Voyage, playing in local clubs. In the 1970s, the group became Tight Connection, and was later known as Simplicious. Broomfield also recorded an album with Curtom Records in 1979 as a member of Today, Tomorrow, Forever.
On learning Broomfield’s middle name was Eugene, his manager insisted that he go by that name professionally; the last name was inspired by Broomfield seeing an advertisement for a New York club named Wildflower’s.
In 1984, Eugene Wilde joined Philly World Records, and wrote and recorded his first hit, “Gotta Get You Home Tonight.” It rose to #1 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts.
- “Lately” (D. Robinson, M. Horton, R. Broomfield) (6:48)
- “Gotta Get You Home Tonight” (M. Horton, R. Broomfield) (5:17)
- “Let Her Feel It” (M. Horton, R. Broomfield) (6:25)
- “Chey Chey Kulé” (M. Horton, R. Broomfield) (3:31)
- “Rainbow” (M. Horton, R. Broomfield) (3:40)
- “Just Be Good to Me” (V. Broomfield) (4:36)
- “Personality” (M. Horton, R. Broomfield) (3:38)
- “Gold” (D. Robinson, M. Horton, M. Forte, R. Broomfield) (5:30)
- Record Company – Ariola Eurodisc GmbH
- Distributed By – Ariola Group Of Companies
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Philly World Records, Inc.
- Recorded At – Alpha International Studios
- Engineer – Al Alberts, Jr., Bruce Weeden, Remo Leomporra
- Engineer [Assistant] – Michael Bonghi, Richard Welter, Steve Pala
- Executive-Producer – Bedrock
- Mixed By – David Todd, John Morales & Sergio Munzibai, Nick Martinelli
- Photography By – Mike Prior
- Producer(s) – Michael Forte, Bunny Sigler
Backing Vocals – Carol Coleman, Eugene Wilde, Cynthia Biggs, Terri Wells, Donald Robinson, Tammy Lynn Megget, Barbara Walker, Larry Davis, Bunny Sigler, Fred Brown, Michele Beckam, Veronica Underwood, The Guinn Family
Guitar – Skip McDonald, Ron Jennings, Larry Davis
Horns – Brass Connection
Drum Programming – Michael Forte, Robert Sonsinni, Bedrock
Synth, Keyboards, Backing Vocals, Drum Programming – Donald Robinson
Saxophone – Johnny O
Arranged By [Strings, Horns] – Jack Faith
Bass, Drum Programming – Doug Grigsby
Percussion – Dr. Gibbs, Daryl Burgee
Strings – Norman Harris
Keyboards – Jimmy Sigler
Recorded at Alpha International Recording Studios, Philadelphia
Genre: Funk, Soul
Label – Island Records