Betty Wright: The Movie is a musical album, a collaboration by singer Betty Wright and The Roots. It was released November 15, 2011.
Betty Wright: The Movie is this Miami soul legend’s first album since 2001’s Fit for a King, but it’s hardly a return. During Wright’s decade away from making her own records, she was busy helping others — including Kelly Clarkson, Joss Stone, Diddy, Keyshia Cole, and Lil Wayne — as a songwriter, arranger, producer, and background vocalist.
Here, she links up with the intrepid Roots crew and several supplemental session musicians, and she wrangles complementary appearances from Stone and the tremendously underappreciated Lenny Williams, as well as disruptive interjections from Lil Wayne and Snoop Dogg.
Most of the songs were either written or co-written by Angelo Morris, who has been collaborating with Wright since the late ‘80s. It’s Wright’s best-sounding album since her self-titled 1981 release for Epic, with her backing band emulating vintage soul one moment and switching it up for more modern (and wholly appropriate) sounds the next. Wright sounds terrific, navigating through the upbeat, attitudinal jams and slower, romantic cuts with finesse and strength.
The lead single for the album is the upbeat performance of “Grapes on a Vine” featuring Lil Wayne.
- “Old Songs” (R. Gordon, A. Morris, Wright) – 5:38
- “Real Woman” (featuring Snoop Dogg) (C. Broadus, R. Jeanty, S. McMillion, A. Morris, Wright) – 5:34
- “In the Middle of the Game (Don’t Change the Play)” (T. Castillo, A. Morris, Wright) – 3:55
- “Surrender” (A. Morris, Wright) – 5:06
- “Grapes on a Vine” (featuring Lil Wayne) (D. Carter, A. Morris, Wright) – 5:15
- “Look Around (Be a Man)” (A. Morris, A. Pallin, Wright) – 5:06
- “Tonight Again” (A. Morris, Wright) – 5:23
- “Hollywould” (featuring Robert “The Messenger” Bozeman) (R. Bozeman, A. Morris, Wright) – 6:39
- “Whisper in the Wind” (featuring Joss Stone) (A. Morris, J. Stoker, Wright) – 5:25
- “Baby Come Back” (featuring Lenny Williams) (R. Jeanty, S. McMillion, Wright) – 4:37
- “So Long, So Wrong” (A. Morris, Wright) – 3:37
- “You and Me, Leroy” (R. Angry, M. Kelley, A. Thompson, Wright) – 5:35
- “The One” (G. Curtis, Wright) – 6:04
- “Go!” (A. Morris, J. Wright, Wright) – 9:39
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – S-Curve Records LLC
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Ms.B Records
- Copyright (c) – S-Curve Records LLC
- Copyright (c) – Ms.B Records
- Mastered At – Sterling Sound
- Recorded At – Feliz Habitat Studios
- Recorded At – Audio Vision Studios
- Recorded At – High Place Recording Studios
- Art Direction, Design – Todd Russell
- Concept By – Betty Wright
- Coordinator – Golda McCormack, Patrice Parker
- Engineer [Additional] – Charlie Boone, David Nizri, D’Wayne Bennett, Gennaro Schianno, Joshua Joseph, Steve Gordon
- Executive-Producer – Betty Wright, Richard Nichols, Steve Greenberg
- Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals – Betty Wright
- Management – Avaami/LeNorris Management
- Mastered By – Chris Gehringer
- Mixed By – Angelo Morris (tracks: 13), Betty Wright (tracks: 13), Jason Goldstein (tracks: 2 to 5, 6, 8), Jimmy Douglass (tracks: 1, 7, 9 to 12)
- Photography By – Charles Allan Smith, Diane Levine
- Photography By [Additional] – Jeanette Wright
- Producer – Ahmir ‘?uestlove’ Thompson (tracks: 1 to 12), Angelo Morris (tracks: 5, 13, 14), Betty Wright (tracks: All)
- Recorded By – Angelo Morris, Jeff Knight (tracks: 14), Raymond Gordon (tracks: 14), Steve Mandel
Released: November 15, 2011
Recorded by Steve Mandel at Feliz Habitat Studios, NYC; and Angelo Morris at Audio Vision and High Place Recording Studios, Miami, FL, “Go! (Live)” recorded by Jeff Knight and Raymond Gordon for Ms B Productions, Inc.
Genre: R&B, soul, adult contemporary
Label – S-Curve Records