All American Boy is the debut solo studio album by Rick Derringer, it was released on Blue Sky Records in late 1973. “Joy Ride” and “Time Warp” (not to be confused with The Rocky Horror Picture Show song) are instrumentals.
Fresh from stints in the McCoys and Johnny Winter Band, All American Boy was supposed to be Rick Derringer‘s breakthrough solo album. For years, it was argued that the frightfully touched-up cover photo of Derringer sank the album before anyone heard it. If that’s true, it’s a shame, because this is simply Rick Derringer‘s most focused and cohesive album, a marvelous blend of rockers, ballads, and atmospheric instrumentals. Joe Walsh helps out on a couple of tracks, but mostly it’s Derringer‘s show — multi-instrumental virtuosity in a number of styles. Consider this one of the great albums of the ’70s that fell between the cracks.
The songs on this album MAKE you want to catch a Rick Derringer concert.All the firepower of a Derringer concert is captured on this studio CD.
It starts off with Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo which has become such a classic it has been played on the radio more than 1 million times!
Two insturmentals are on this album;Joy Ride and Time Warp.Neither of them diappoints.Rick has always had a special knack for writing these kinds of songs.
Another charted song Teenage Love Affair is here as well and years later it still sounds invigorating and fresh.
The thoughtfulness of Hold,the class of Jump Jump Jump,the atmosphere of It’s Raining…it’s all here folks.
A person could go on describing this album forever and a day.It is one of those albums which captures exactly the musical vibe that was going on in the 70’s.
Gemstone after gemstone with a special mention going to Slide On Over Slinky which can only be described as a mature version of Hang On Sloopy.
- “Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo” – 3:43
- “Joy Ride” – instrumental – 1:50
- “Teenage Queen” – 3:31
- “Cheap Tequila” – 2:44
- “Uncomplicated” – 3:40
- “Hold” (Derringer, Patti Smith) – 3:12
- “The Airport Giveth (The Airport Taketh Away)” – 2:49
- “Teenage Love Affair” – 3:20
- “It’s Raining” – 2:05
- “Time Warp” – instrumental – 2:53
- “Slide On Over Slinky” – 4:21
- “Jump, Jump, Jump” – 6:00
All tracks composed by Rick Derringer; except where indicated
- Published By – Derringer Music, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – CBS Inc.
- Manufactured By – CBS Records
- Recorded At – Caribou Ranch
- Recorded At – The Hit Factory
- Rick Derringer – Lead vocals, guitar, organ
- David Bromberg – Guitar, dobro
- Joe Walsh – Electric guitar
- Bobby Caldwell – Drums on all tracks except “Uncomplicated”
- Joe Vitale – Drums
- Kenny Passarelli – Bass guitar
- Tasha Thomas – Backing vocals
- Edgar Winter – Keyboards
- Lani Groves – Backing vocals
- Carl Hall – Backing vocals
- Suzi Quatro – Bass guitar
- Paul Harris – Keyboards
- Joe Lala – Percussion
- Toots Thielemans – Harmonica
Released: October 1973
Recorded: 1973 at Caribou Ranch, Nederland, CO
Genre: Rock, Hard Rock
Style: Blues Rock
Label – Blue Sky Records