Blood is the second studio album by British recording artist Lianne La Havas, which was released through Warner Bros. Records on July 31, 2015. Following the release of her critically acclaimed debut Is Your Love Big Enough? (2012) La Havas embarked on a variety of tours and festivals before travelling to Jamaica. During La Havas’ time in Jamaica she attempted to regain a connection with her roots, the exploration inspired La Havas to begin writing the follow up to her debut. During her stay in Jamaica Lianne met with reggae producer Stephen McGregor who would subsequently go on to help produce the album.
As well as working with McGregor, La Havas reunited with past collaborator Matt Hales, La Havas co-wrote each of the album’s songs and was credited as a co-producer on one. Havas cited the album as a homage towards her Jamaican and Greek bloodline which in turn inspired the album’s title. Blood was seen as departure from the acoustic musical leanings of her debut Is Your Love Big Enough? (2012), taking on a neo soul and jazz style, with elements of R&B, doo-wop, reggae and gospel music. The album’s songs were characterised as having heavy basses with electronic flourishes and lyrics focusing on love, relationships and identity.
Upon release Blood was met with positive reviews from music critics, who praised the musical transition and its overall progression from La Havas debut album. Commercially the album was successful, peaking at number two in the United Kingdom and number one in the Netherlands and Norway as well as making appearances on other charts. In order to promote the album La Havas ventured on numerous tours and supported Blood with the release of two singles —”Unstoppable” and “What You Don’t Do” — both of which fared moderately. It has also received a nomination for Best Urban Contemporary Album at the Grammy Awards.
1. “Unstoppable” (Lianne La Havas, Paul Epworth) (5:29)
2. “Green and Gold” (Jamie Lidell, Lianne La Havas, Matt Hales) (4:38)
3. “What You Don’t Do” (Matt Hales, Sam Dew) (3:40)
4. “Tokyo” (Lianne La Havas, Matt Hales) (4:29)
5. “Wonderful” (Howard Lawrence, Lianne La Havas, Matt Hales) (4:16)
6. “Midnight” (Lianne La Havas, Stephen McGregor) (3:29)
7. “Grow” (Lianne La Havas, Mark Batson) (3:38)
8. “Ghost” (Lianne La Havas, Matt Hales) (3:43)
9. “Never Get Enough” (Lianne La Havas, Mark Batson) (3:21)
10. “Good Goodbye” (Lianne La Havas, Matt Hales) (3:49)
- Record Company – Warner Music Group
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Warner Music UK Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – Warner Music UK Ltd.
- Published By – Warner/Chappell Music
- Published By – EMI Music Publishing Ltd.
- Published By – Hiltingbury Songs
- Published By – BMG Rights Management
- Published By – Copyright Control
- Published By – Sony / ATV Music Publishing
- Published By – Universal Music Publishing
- Published By – Downtown Music Publishing
- Published By – Bat Future Music
- Recorded At – The Church, London
- Recorded At – Red Bull Studios, New York, NY
- Recorded At – Wendy House Productions
- Recorded At – The Garage, Pasadena
- Recorded At – Dave’s Room
- Recorded At – Big Ship Studios
- Recorded At – Cloud Nine Recording Inc.
- Mixed At – Mixsuite UK
- Mixed At – Electric Lady Studios
- Mixed At – Strongroom
- Engineered At – Comp-ny
- Engineered At – Urchin Studios
- Mastered At – Metropolis Mastering
- Engineer – Aaron Fessel, Mark Batson, Matt Wiggins, Stephen “Di Genius” McGregor
- Engineer [Additional] – Ben Baptie, Dan Cox
- Engineer [Assistant] – Joe Hartwell Jones
- Engineer [Horns] – Rupert Christie
- Engineer [Strings] – Be Hussey
- Mastered By – Stuart Hawkes
- Mixed By – Ben Baptie, Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, Matt Hales, Tom Elmhirst
- Mixed By [Assistant] – Geoff Swan, Joe Visciano, drew BANG
- Producer – Jamie Lidell, Lianne La Havas, Mark Batson, Matt Hales, Paul Epworth, Stephen “Di Genius” McGregor
- Recorded By – Chris Tabron
- Recorded By [Assistant] – Caleb Laven
- Recorded By [Drums] – David Bianco
Release date: 31 July, 2015
Style: Neo Soul/Pop
Label: Warner Bros.