Time for Annihilation: On the Record & On the Road is the first live album and seventh studio album by California rock band Papa Roach. It was released on August 31, 2010. Jerry Horton said in a blog on the band’s official website that they recorded it on the last run of the tour with Shinedown.
Time for Annihilation is an interesting mix of new Papa Roach studio recordings and live concert audio. In the studio and out, Papa Roach has nailed the formula for the modern day hard rock band sound.
The opening track, “Burn,” has a great riff that quickly grabs your attention. The cadence of vocals during the verses is infectious, but it’s the powerful chorus that’s sure to fire up a crowd. And that’s Papa Roach’s strength on the album. All these tracks would sound great live, including the more melodic “No Matter What.”
The live tracks were recorded in Binghamton, NY on December 8th, 2009. Of the fifteen songs played during their set that night, only nine were selected for this album. This might be point of contention for the die-hard fans who would rather to hear the complete performance, or those wanting to hear the songs that were cut out, like “Broken Home” or “I Almost Told You That I Loved You.” Rest assured, the live tracks are the real reason to listen to this album, because they completely outshine the studio tracks.
It’s surprising that all the live tracks were recorded during a single performance because they are all spectacular. The production is nearly flawless and there is a balanced mix of music and crowd. But the best part is simply hearing the band play their asses off, and the crowd responding in kind. Papa Roach is made for the stage.
1. “Burn” (Jacoby Shaddix, Tobin Esperance, Bobby Huff) – 3:25
2. “One Track Mind” (Jacoby Shaddix, Tobin Esperance, James Michael, David Bendeth) – 3:25
3. “Kick in the Teeth” (Jacoby Shaddix, Tobin Esperance, Huff) – 3:11
4. “No Matter What” (Jacoby Shaddix, Tobin Esperance, James Michael, David Bendeth) – 3:33
5. “The Enemy” (Jacoby Shaddix, Tobin Esperance, Bendeth) – 3:38
6. “Getting Away with Murder” (Live) (Jacoby Shaddix, Tobin Esperance, Jerry Horton) – 4:14
7. “…To Be Loved” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance) – 3:55
8. “Lifeline” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Michael) – 4:18
9. “Scars” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance) – 4:59
10. “Hollywood Whore” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Horton) – 4:08
11. “Time Is Running Out” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance) – 3:57
12. “Forever” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Dave Buckner, Horton) – 6:50
13. “Between Angels and Insects” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Buckner, Horton) – 5:09
14. “Last Resort” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Buckner, Horton) – 5:39
15. “I Almost Told You That I Loved You” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Michael) – 3:15
16. “Dead Cell” (Live) (Shaddix, Esperance, Buckner, Horton) – 6:09
17. “No Matter What” (Demo) (Shaddix, Esperance, Michael, Bendeth) – 4:06
All tracks written by Jacoby Shaddix and Tobin Esperance, unless where noted.
- Jacoby Shaddix – lead vocals
- Jerry Horton – guitars, backing vocals
- Tobin Esperance – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Tony Palermo – drums, percussion
- David Bendeth Producer, Mixer
Released: August 31, 2010
Recorded: December 2009 (live tracks), January–March 2010 (studio tracks)
Genre: Alternative Rock
Style: Alternative Metal, Nu Metal, Rap Metal
Length: 73:46 (UK edition)
Label – Eleven Seven Music