Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker is an album by The Joe Perry Project, released in 1983 on MCA Records. Work on the album started in early 1982 with Aerosmith rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford. Demo versions of Black Velvet Pants, No Time For Women and the unreleased When Worlds Collide with Perry in February 1982. Drummer Ronnie Stewart was still with The Joe Perry Project for the February and November recording sessions.
The third and final release from the Joe Perry Project, 1983’s Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker, was a completely blah and uninspired work. It featured a whole new backing band for Perry, the Project‘s third lead singer (a new frontman per album) Cowboy Mach Bell, as well bassist Danny Hargrove, and drummer Joe Pet. The new lineup couldn’t light a fire under Perry like the original Project could, and when you add a bunch of predictable compositions to the mix, you got the weakest Project release yet. Bell‘s vocals would have sounded perfectly in an early-’80s, glammed-up heavy metal band, but not alongside the raw and gritty rock & roll that usually accompanies Joe Perry. Judging form the band photos on the album, the group was trying desperately to fit in with the then-blossoming glam metal scene (poofed up hair, makeup, etc.). A few tracks will be appreciated by hardcore Perry fans, such as the album’s only video, “Black Velvet Pants,” plus the title track and select others. After the indifferent Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker, it was completely understandable why Perry ditched the Project and returned to his original compadres, Aerosmith, in 1984.
- “Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker” – 2:58 (Perry, Bell)
- “Black Velvet Pants” – 3:20 (Perry)
- “Women In Chains” – 4:05 (Brooks, Tipton, Deluca)
- “Four Guns West” – 4:28 (Perry, Bell)
- “Crossfire” – 5:43 (Perry, Bell)
- “Adrianna” – 3:20 (Perry, Bell)
- “King Of The Kings” – 4:02 (Perry, Bell)
- “Bang A Gong” – 3:55 (Bolan) – T. Rex cover
- “Walk With Me Sally” – 3:14 (Perry, Bell)
- “Never Wanna Stop” – 4:27 (Perry, Bell)
- Pressed By – MCA Pressing Plant, Pinckneyville
- Produced For – Lull Before The Storm, Inc.
- Recorded At – Blue Jay Studios
- Mixed At – Blue Jay Studios
- Mastered At – Sterling Sound
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Published By – E.S. And D. Publishing, Inc.
- Published By – Irving Music, Inc.
- Published By – Tro-Essex Music International, Inc.
- Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass [Six String], Lap Steel Guitar, Slide Guitar – Joe Perry
- Arranged By – Joe Perry And The Project
- Art Direction – Penry Ltd
- Bass, Backing Vocals – Danny Hargrove
- Drums, Congas, Timbales, Backing Vocals, Gong – Joe Pet
- Engineer – Michael Golub
- Grand Piano – Harry King
- Illustration [Logo] – Brian Penry
- Management [Direction] – Collins/Barrasso
- Mastered By – Greg Calbi
- Photography By – Linda Lowell Campagna
- Producer [Associate] – Harry King, Michael Golub
- Producer, Directed By – Joe Perry
- Saxophone – Jim Biggins, Ric Cunnigham
- Tape Op [Tape Operator] – Ed Goodreau, Meg Bryant
- Vocals, Percussion – Cowboy Mach Bell
Released: September 1983
Style: Rock & Roll, Classic Rock
Label – MCA Records