Fortune is a AOR – soul rock fusion band, led by brothers Richard Fortune and Mick Fortune and, on their first album, soul producer – songwriter Mark Davis.
The Fortune Band began in the late 70’s when brothers Richard Fortune on guitar and Mick Fortune on drums decided to join together and form a band. The first Fortune self-titled album was released on Warner Bros in 1978 with follow-up WB singles releases including “Squeeze Me, Tease Me” and “Saddle in the Wind.” In the early 80’s, keyboardist Ray Barrett and bassist David de Leon (formerly Stanley Clarke’s touring support bassist) teamed up with the brothers, and the band began its move more toward the pop rock style of the time. This phase of the band capped with a show at Aloha Stadium Summer Blowout 1981, opening for Heart and Blue Oyster Cult. The band began to receive some national attention with the 1982 Columbia Records/CBS Inc. release of “Airwaves” on The Last American Virgin motion picture soundtrack. The movie is considered by many to be a cult classic of the time and the soundtrack proved to be a memorable compendium of 1980s radio hits with Fortune sharing the bill with bands such as U2, Journey, Blondie, REO Speedwagon and the Police.
As Fortune began to gain momentum, the core of the band, Richard, Mick and David, decided to take their music more mainstream and that some adjustment in personnel was now necessary to move in that direction. By Fall of 1982, the band had recruited keyboardist Roger Scott Craig. Craig had formerly played with Liverpool Express, a British-based group known in Europe and South America. By end of 1982, Fortune’s singer (Richard’s wife, Colleen Fortune) had left the band and was replaced by vocalist Larry Greene.
The band began writing all new songs, to which Roger and Larry contributed significantly. Over the next two years, Fortune spent much of their time in the studio recording demos for CBS records and performing live gigs in clubs around Los Angeles, also opening a stadium show in Hawaii. Unfortunately, the band was unable to get traction during this time and eventually disbanded in 1984.
01. “Saddle The Wind” (Colleen Fortune, Mark Davis, Richard Fortune) – 5:01
02. “Squeeze Me, Tease Me” (Norman Whitfield) – 4:37
03. “Certain Kind Of Feeling” (Mark Davis, Maureen Thornton) – 3:31
04. “Bein’ Real With The Feelin'” (Alice Sanderson, Tony Miller, Keith Echols) – 6:24
05. “Forget About Tomorrow” (Colleen Fortune, Mark Davis, Richard Fortune) – 4:43
06. “Country Love” (Colleen Fortune, Mark Davis, Richard Fortune) – 3:47
07. “Heavy Love” (Colleen Fortune, Mark Davis, Richard Fortune) – 3:40
08. “Swinging From The Stars” (Edward Brown, Robert Pritchard) – 2:45
09. “Rainy Day Woman” (Colleen Fortune, Mark Davis, Richard Fortune) – 5:36
Backing Vocals – Maureen Thornton
Bass [Arp] – Michael Nash
Drums – Alvin Taylor, Mick Fortune, Steve Lagana
Guitar, Backing Vocals – Richard Fortune
Keyboards – Booker T. Jones
Vocals – Colleen Fortune
Bass [De Luxe] – Jeff Eyrich
Keyboards – Mark Davis
Producer – Mark Davis
Genre: Rock, Pop
Style: Soft Rock, Pop Rock, Arena Rock
Label – Warner Bros. Records